How many times have you taken a selfie, only to find out you were out of frame or focus? You are not the only one.
Cameras with a flip screen make taking selfies easier since you can frame the shot before taking the picture. Flip screen cameras are also excellent for vlogging because you can see the preview the entire time you’re recording.
This guide highlights the best flip screen cameras currently on the market with a comprehensive review of each of them.
Types of Flip Out Screen Cameras
We have divided the cameras with flip out screen into three different categories.
- Point and shoot cameras: Point and shoot cameras are compact, easy to carry digital cameras that are also very easy to use. They automatically optimize the camera setting to get the best shot so you don’t have to. For most people these are the perfect option. Portable, easy to use and great image quality.
- DSLR’s: If you want to play with camera settings, change lenses or connect an external microphone, a DSLR is the better choice. They are heavier and bulkier but if you want more control over your photos and videos, you will need to accept some trade-offs.
- Mirrorless cameras: Mirrorless cameras provide the best of point and shoot cameras and DSLR’s in one package. They are smaller than DSLR camera’s by eliminating all the mirrors inside the camera body. Despite their small form factor, they still support interchangeable lenses and external microphones.
Best Point and Shoot Flip Screen Cameras
#1 Sony DSC-RX100m V
- ELECTRONIC VIEW FINDER: retractable Tru-Finder EVF provides sharp resolution, bright self-illumination, and high contrast to view shots and adjust…
- AUTO FOCUS: World’s fastest (0.05 sec.) hybrid AF system (contrast + phase) which is great for action and wildlife photography
- AF DETECTION: The most comprehensive phase detection coverage in a compact camera utilizing 315 Auto Focus points
High resolution screen
Great image quality
Perfect for recording video
Short battery life
Our first point and shoot recommendation is the Sony DSC-RX100m V.
The Sony RX100 V has a 3-inch (1.3 million dots) LCD Display that rotates 180 degrees up and 45 degrees down. The screen automatically increases brightness in direct sunlight so it stays legible.
The Sony RX100 V has a 1-inch 20.1 megapixel CMOS sensor and a bright f/1.8-2.8 lens for beautiful pictures. Thanks to rapid sensor readout your pictures will never look distorted or blurry again.
You can easily transfer pictures to your smartphone by using the built-in WiFi or NFC technology.
If you plan on recording videos, the camera is capable of recording in Full HD 1080p at 24, 30 or 60 frames per second but you can also record in Ultra HD/4K for up to 5 minutes. Capturing slow motion shots is not a problem for this camera since you can shoot at up to 960 frames per second (40x slower than real-time).
The battery life of this camera could be better and shooting in 4K Ultra HD drains the battery even quicker. If you plan on shooting a lot of Ultra HD footage or plan on taking more than 280 shots without access to a charger. We recommend picking up an extra battery so you can easily swap them and keep shooting/recording.
#2 Canon G7 X Mark II
- The advanced video capabilities of the PowerShot G7 X Mark II camera can capture moments in the quality they deserve
- Features a large 1.0 inch, 20.1 Megapixel CMOS sensor that helps capture high quality images and videos with a wide dynamic range. Autofocus system…
- An aperture value of f/1.8 at the wide angle and f/2.8 when fully zoomed to a factor of 4.2x (24-100 millimeter), this lens equipped to capture a…
Great image quality
Good for recording videos
No 4K video
Short battery life
Our second point and shoot recommendation is the Canon G7 X Mark II. The G7 X Mark II is the successor of the immensely successful G7 X.
The G7 X Mark II has a multi-angle 3-inch LCD screen with a screen resolution of 1.04 million dots and is able to tilt 180 degrees up and 45 degrees down. The screen is also a touch screen so you can easily change camera settings and browse the different menus.
The Canon G7 X Mark II features a high-performance 1-inch 20.1 Megapixel CMOS sensor and a bright f/1.8-2.8 lens to capture impressive images in all light conditions.
The new image processor provides improved image stabilization, auto focus tracking and image clarity (even in low light conditions). You can also shoot in RAW or RAW+JPEG mode for extensive adjustment options.
The Canon G7 Mark II isn’t only good at taking pictures but is also excellent if you want to record videos.
It is capable of recording Full HD 1080p footage at 60 frames per second in mp4 format. There are also 4 different image stabilization modes to remove unwanted camera shake and a time-lapse mode.
The battery life could be better but that’s the only downside we could find with this camera. So we recommend picking up an extra battery when ordering this camera.
#3 Panasonic ZS70S
- 20.3 Megapixel MOS sensor plus 30x Leica DC VARIO-ELMAR Lens (24-720 millimeter), plus 5-axis Hybrid o.I.S. (Optical image stabilizer)
- 0.2-Inch 1, 166k-dot EVF (electronic view Finder) with eye-sensor for easier viewing under sunny outdoor conditions
- 4K QFHD video recording (3840×2160), plus exclusive LUMIX 4K PHOTO and 4K Post Focus with internal Focus Stacking feature
Battery life could be improved
Our third and most affordable recommendation is the Panasonic ZS70.
The ZS70S features a 3-inch 180 degree flip screen. The screen is touch-enabled for quick camera setting changes.
This camera features a 20.3 megapixel MOS sensor, 30x Leica DC VARIO-ELMAR Lens with built-in 5-axis hybrid optical image stabilization.
The ZS70 is capable of recording video in 4K Ultra HD (30 fps) or 1080p Full HD (60 fps) making this one of the most affordable 4K video cameras on the market.
The camera shoots crystal clear 4K photos and has a built-in post focus function, giving you the ability to focus after you’ve taken the shot.
Take the photo, review it on the 3-inch flip screen and touch the part of the photo that you want to sharpen. It’s that simple!
You can wirelessly transfer photos and videos to your computer via WiFi.
Best DSLR’s with a Flip Screen
#1 Canon EOS 70D
Articulated touch screen
Coated to minimize reflections and fingerprints
Complicated WiFi setup
Our first DSLR recommendation is another Canon camera, the Canon EOS 70D.
The 70D has a 3-inch LCD flip screen (1.04 million dots) with touch screen capabilities and adjustable to a variety of angles. The screen recognizes two-finger touch gestures for zooming or changing images, as well as accessing menus and camera settings.
The surface of the screen is coated and treated to minimize reflections and smudges/fingerprints.
Inside the 70D is a 20.2 megapixel APS-C CMOS sensor which records a massive 5472 x 3648 pixels. The wide ISO range of the camera ensures high quality image capture even in dim lighting situations. The DIGIC 5+ image processor provides increased performance and allows up to 7 frames per second of continuous shooting.
This camera outshines the competition with its autofocus performance, especially when shooting video. It’s autofocus is far better than its competitors which made it popular among videographers and YouTubers.
The 70D records video in Full HD 1080p up to 30 frames per second but can also shoot in 24 frames per second for the ‘movie look’.
#2 Nikon D5600
3.2″ Articulated LCD touch screen
Wide ISO range
Long battery life
No 4K video
Our second DSLR recommendation is the Nikon D5600.
The Nikon D5600 features a 3.2-inch vari-angle LCD flip out screen with touch screen capabilities. Touch the screen to adjust the focus and the camera does the rest. Or use it to quickly change some settings.
The D5600 features a 24.2 megapixel CMOS sensor with no optical pass filter, very wide ISO range (100 – 25,600) and captures great photos. The sensor captures an extremely wide dynamic range which leaves lots of room to tweak and edit pictures in post-editing.
The Nikon D5600’s body is very well designed, compact and provides lots of grip. Despite the compact body, the battery life is great and will last you around 820 shots per charge.
At the flick of a switch the Nikon D5600 turns into a great video camera capable of recording in Full HD 1080p at up to 60 frames per second. The autofocus of this camera uses a 39-point autofocus system including nine cross-type sensors for increased accuracy.
#3 Panasonic FZ300
- 4K video and 4K photo: Panasonic’s exclusive 4K photo technology uses 30 frames per second in high resolution 4K ultra HD video to extract them as…
- Leica DC Vario Elmarit lens: 24x zoom (25 600 millimeter with Full zoom range F2; 8 aperture for enhanced low light shooting meeting the stringent…
- High image Quality: The 12.1 Megapixel high sensitivity MOS sensor with the venus engine excels in diffraction compensation, yielding images that are…
3″ free-angle touch screen
Excellent low-light performance
Splash- and dust-proof
No headphone jack
Our third and last DSLR recommendation is the Panasonic FZ300.
The FZ300 has a 3-inch free-angle flip screen with touch screen capabilities. The 1040k-dot screen can swivel and tilt giving you the freedom to adjust the screen to every angle. Plus, the touch screen allows you to quickly set the focus or change camera settings.
The FZ300K features a 12.1 megapixel high sensitivity MOS sensor with superb performance in low-light conditions. The high-speed autofocus technology ensures your subject is always in focus, while smart, 5-axis optical image stabilization reduces unwanted camera shake and motion blur.
The Panasonic FZ300 is not only great for pictures but also for video. It is able to record in 4K Ultra HD at 30 frames per second or Full HD 1080p at 60 frames per second or 120 frames per second for slow-motion recording.
The rugged body is also splash and dust-proof so it can stand up to the most challenging environments.
Best Mirrorless Flip Screen Cameras
#1 Panasonic G85
- Fine Detail Performance: 16 megapixel micro four thirds sensor with no low pass filter resulting in a near 10 percent boost in fine detail resolving…
- Mirrorless Interchangeable Lens Camera: With 12 60 millimeter lens, Shoot lighter and faster with the modern hybrid photography performance of a…
- Class Leading Dual Image Stabilization: In body 5 axis dual image stabilization works in both photo and motion picture recording including 4K video to…
3″ articulated screen with 2-axe pivot
Double image stabilization
Great image quality
Weather sealed body
Poor battery life
Our first recommendation is the Panasonic G85.
This mirrorless camera features a 3-inch fully articulated screen that can pivot on two axis.
The G85 features a 16-megapixel with a very wide ISO-range (100-25600) and sensor-shift image stabilization. This camera uses class leading 5-axis body stabilization which combined with the LUMIX 2-axis optically stabilized lens creates a ‘double image stabilization’.
This camera takes incredibly sharp 4K pictures with impressive color reproduction. You can adjust the focus of an image with he focus stacking feature so you never miss the perfect moment.
It can also shoot 4K Ultra HD video in 24 or 30 frames per second or Full HD 1080p in 60 frames per second.
The body is weather sealed, dust proof and splash proof so it can withstand the most challenging conditions.
#2 Sony a5100
- Ultra-fast auto focus with 179 AF points and 6Fps
- Capture life in high resolution with 24MP APS-C sensor.Lens compatibility Sony E-mount lenses
- Instant sharing via smartphone with Wi-Fi and NFC1
3″ touch screen
Great low-light and autofocus performance
WiFi and NFC transfer
No 4K video
No touch screen in settings menu
Our second mirrorless camera recommendation is the Sony a5100.
The a5100 has a tilt-able LCD screen that flips up 180 degrees. The 3-inch screen has touch capabilities so you can one touch autofocus on your subject.
The camera’s settings menu needs to be controlled with the buttons on the camera as it does not support touch.
The Sony a5100 has a 24 megapixel APS-C sensor and a newly developed Exmor CMOS sensor and BIONZ X processor. These provide a stunning amount of detail in low light conditions. The autofocus system uses a 179-point phase-detection AF sensor and can snap into focus in 0.07 second so you never take a blurry photo again.
You can transfer all images and videos to your smartphone using the built-in WiFi or NFC technology.
The a5100 is capable of recording in Full HD 1920 x 1080 video in 60p or the cinematic 24p. Tracking moving subjects while recording is not a problem thanks to the 179 point autofocus system.
#3 Samsung NX Mini
- This refurbished product is tested and certified to look and work like new. The refurbishing process includes functionality testing, basic cleaning,…
3″ touch screen
Small and lightweight
Low resolution screen
Can’t record Full HD at 60fps
Our third, and most affordable, mirrorless camera with a flip screen is the Samsung NX Mini.
The camera is slim and lightweight but takes high quality pictures and videos. Perfect for carrying around.
The Samsung NX Mini has a 3-inch touchscreen that flips up over the top of the camera. The resolution of the screen could be better but it still does it’s job very well.
Inside of the NX Mini is a 20.5 megapixel 1-inch CMOS sensor with excellent low light performance due to the 1-inch sensor. Pictures and videos can easily be shared to other devices by using the built-in WiFi or NFC technology.
Despite the compact body, the battery life is good. A single charge will last for up to 650 photos or 325 minutes of video.
The NX Mini is capable of recording video in 1080p Full HD at 30 frames per second and lacks a 60p video mode. The video records in H.264 format which allows the NX Mini to record for longer than cameras using MJPEG.
The Samsung NX Mini is small and lightweight and made with premium materials. You get a lot of value for the money and its a very good entry model mirrorless flip screen camera.
It’s hard to filter for cameras with a flip screen in the thousands of cameras that are available, so we did it for you. Whether you are looking for a Nikon, Sony or Canon or only care about your budget.
Hopefully we’ve helped you find a camera with flip out screen that fits your needs!
If you are planning to buy a flip screen camera to vlog, you might be interested in our vlogging camera guide.
Last update on 2023-02-09 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API. Our editors may earn a small commission if products are purchased via our external partner links.